- Date Discovered:
- 11 April 2017
- Microsoft Windows is prone to an information-disclosure vulnerability. Attackers can exploit this issue to obtain sensitive information that may aid in launching further attacks.
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems SP1
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
Block external access at the network boundary, unless external parties require service.If global access isn't needed, block access at the network perimeter to computers hosting the vulnerable operating system.
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.Deploy NIDS to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity such as unexplained incoming and outgoing traffic. This may indicate exploit attempts or activity that results from successful exploits.
Communicate sensitive information through secure means.Implement multiple layers of encryption and authentication to help mitigate against exposure from this and other latent vulnerabilities.
Jordan Rabet, Microsoft Offensive Security Research Team.