- 13 February 2007
- Stop Popup Ads, Now
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.StopPopupAdsNow is a browser helper object that blocks some Internet Explorer advertising pop-up windows, and instead, displays pop-up windows from paid sponsors.
In addition, the program will collect information, such as browsing habits.
Displays pop-up advertising windows.
The most common installation method for this program is through Web sites.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 24 December 2016 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 06 October 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 25 December 2016 revision 001
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 08 October 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
The program will install itself as an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object.
The program will monitor browsing habits, especially when clicking through advertisements, and will display pop-up advertisements from paid sponsors of the program.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.StopPopupAdsNow.
- Delete the values that was added to the registry.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Adware.StopPopupAdsNow, click Delete.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Delete the registry keys:
- Exit the Registry Editor.